Monday, July 13, 2009

A few minor changes...

So, in my blogging absence, a couple of changes – ranging in importance from very to insanely – have occurred in my life. Allow me to catch you up.

In January, my long-time significant other and I became engaged. The proposal went as follows: One snowy morn, I awoke to find our cars buried in snow and ice. I called my boss and said something along the lines of, “Hey, is it cool if I come in later? I’m gonna get engaged.” He, of course, granted permission. Next, I kissed Steph “goodbye” and headed outside. I hid my car on the side of the house so that when Steph came outside to leave for school, she would think that I was, in fact, at work. I then called Steph and said something along the lines of, “Hey babe, I scraped your windows, but they’re still a bit iced over, so you might want to head out about ten minutes before you have to leave so you can run your heater. Also, you should leave early because the radio just said that traffic sucks.” I then proceeded to scrape her windows… sort of…


I hid behind Steph’s car, ring in hand, waiting for her to come outside. And then I waited some more. Keep in mind, it was about 3 degrees outside… Steph was supposed to leave for school at about 7:30am. I waited behind her car until 8:10am. You see, after I talked to Steph, her mom had called her and mentioned that traffic wasn’t bad at all, so Steph no longer needed to go out to her car early. Perhaps I should have given her mom the head’s up about what was going on. Anyway, Steph finally came out, I walked out from behind her car, got down on one knee, and she said hell yes.

Major event #2:

This morning, Steph and I bought a house. Sort of. We’ve been looking for houses for about three months now with our AWESOME realtor Bryan Hurd. (If anyone is in the market for a house, let me know. You need to call Bryan.) Anyway, we looked and looked and looked, and we saw a lot of houses we liked, but nothing that we really loved. We looked at countless short sales, a few bank-owned properties, and a handful of good old-fashioned private seller homes. There were some good deals on some short sales, but almost all of them needed work – everything from new carpet, to sheet rock patchwork, to paint, to yard work, to all of the above. The bank-owned properties were mostly disasters. None of them were great houses. Then Bryan, having a feel for what we were really looking for, brought us to Sunset Hills. Sunset Hills is a new community way out on the west side of the Salt Lake valley. 6600 South and Bachus Highway. We wandered through the two spec homes, saw the pricing, and Steph and I knew we were home. We realized that we could build our home our way, for dang near what we were planning on paying for some short sale fixer upper. So, this morning, we went under contract on our new home. This isn’t our exact home, because it’s not built yet, but this is the exact model and layout. I give you, the Canyon at Sunset Hills:





That will be our home by the end of November! (If all goes as planned…) So basically, life is moving really fast, and I'm just trying to keep up with it!

So, there’s a little update. Sorry for the delay!

3 comments:

doug said...

I'm glad you updated your blog - you're getting married?! Can I come to your wedding?

doug said...

Oh, also, congratulations on being a real-live grown-up long before me... :) :(

King Jimmie said...

I guess you can come... And how many adults do you know who work at a car wash?